Normally when you think of Corona Extra beer, an open longneck bottle with a wedge of lime usually comes to mind.
Well, how’s this for a new image?
On January 17, 2011, Corona Extra beer built a hotel in the central Callao Square in Madrid, Spain. A hotel built with twelve tons of trash reclaimed from various beaches in Europe.
The temporary hotel, which will remain up through January 23, 2011, is part of an ongoing project by the beer company to draw attention to the Save the Beach campaign.
The dates of this phase of the project coincide with the celebration of Fitur, one of Europe’s most important International Tourism Fairs.
Prestigious German artist HA Schult designed the Save the Beach Hotel and said of the project, “The philosophy of this hotel is that it shows the damages that we are causing to the sea and the coast; it reflects how things can end up if we do not take care of our planet. We live in the era of trash, and we run the risk of becoming trash. Do we really want such a world?”
The hotel can be visited between 11am and 7pm daily. Ten people a night are also being allowed to spend the night in one of the five double rooms of the hotel. There is no cost for lodging, but basically all each room has is a bed to sleep on, one I believe is also made of garbage.
Definitely not for the germaphobe.
What do you think of this project? A well-done publicity stunt, or do you think it’ll actually make an impact, as they intend?
[Photo courtesy of Corona]
- This is Just a Short Hiatus…I’ll be Back in December - November 18, 2015
- Book Review: The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy by Sam Maggs - September 16, 2015
- Ojai Valley Inn & Spa Debuts New Signature Restaurant and Adult Pool - September 11, 2015
- Enter to Win a Star Wars: The Force Awakens Star Destroyer Strike Game #ForceFriday - September 4, 2015
- I’m Going to Mars! Or at Least My Name Is… #JourneytoMars - September 4, 2015
- Got a 4th Grader? Get a Free National Park Pass for the Family - September 3, 2015
- The Force Awakens Worldwide as Star Wars Launches Global Toy Unboxing Event Today! - September 2, 2015
- My August 2015 in Review: Blogger Bashes, Charity Events, Restaurant Openings and Concerts - September 1, 2015
- Fear The Walking Dead Debuts With 10+ Million But Was It Worth the Hype? - August 24, 2015
- A Conversation with John Corabi of The Dead Daisies - August 22, 2015