Jack Reacher is Tom Cruise doing what he does best in movies: high-energy fights, exciting action sequences, and snappy dialog. And that’s ok, because that’s just what makes this movie so good.
Reacher, a character from a series of books by author Lee Child, is a former military cop who has been living off the grid. After an ex-sniper is accused of opening fire on a crowd of people, Reacher shows up in Pittsburgh to find the truth.
There’s very little back story, at first. You learn about Reacher and how he fits into all of this as the film goes along, but in this film, it works.
He’s assisted by the ex-sniper’s defense attorney (Rosamund Pike), who happens to be the daughter of the prosecuting D.A. (Richard Jenkins). He also makes friends with an ex-Marine who now owns a shooting range, played wonderfully by Robert Duvall, that helps him solve the case.
Jack Reacher is a no-frills action thriller, and it’s a great one. It doesn’t try to reinvent the genre, it just does it really well.
- Book Review: The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy by Sam Maggs - September 16, 2015
- Ojai Valley Inn & Spa Debuts New Signature Restaurant and Adult Pool - September 11, 2015
- Enter to Win a Star Wars: The Force Awakens Star Destroyer Strike Game #ForceFriday - September 4, 2015
- I’m Going to Mars! Or at Least My Name Is… #JourneytoMars - September 4, 2015
- Got a 4th Grader? Get a Free National Park Pass for the Family - September 3, 2015
- The Force Awakens Worldwide as Star Wars Launches Global Toy Unboxing Event Today! - September 2, 2015
- My August 2015 in Review: Blogger Bashes, Charity Events, Restaurant Openings and Concerts - September 1, 2015
- Fear The Walking Dead Debuts With 10+ Million But Was It Worth the Hype? - August 24, 2015
- A Conversation with John Corabi of The Dead Daisies - August 22, 2015
- Starbucks Brings Back Its Pumpkin Spice Latte With a Change - August 20, 2015