Jack Reacher is Tom Cruise doing what he does best in movies: high-energy fights, exciting action sequences, and snappy dialog. And that’s ok, because that’s just what makes this movie so good.
Reacher, a character from a series of books by author Lee Child, is a former military cop who has been living off the grid. After an ex-sniper is accused of opening fire on a crowd of people, Reacher shows up in Pittsburgh to find the truth.
There’s very little back story, at first. You learn about Reacher and how he fits into all of this as the film goes along, but in this film, it works.
He’s assisted by the ex-sniper’s defense attorney (Rosamund Pike), who happens to be the daughter of the prosecuting D.A. (Richard Jenkins). He also makes friends with an ex-Marine who now owns a shooting range, played wonderfully by Robert Duvall, that helps him solve the case.
Jack Reacher is a no-frills action thriller, and it’s a great one. It doesn’t try to reinvent the genre, it just does it really well.
- What’s Coming to #AmazonPrime September 2017 - September 6, 2017
- Netflix September 2017 Additions and Departures - September 5, 2017
- When It All Goes to Hell with your Laptop - September 4, 2017
- Airboating on the Delta is a Must-Do in Mobile Alabama #VisitMobile - August 7, 2017
- Netflix August 2017 Additions and Departures - July 28, 2017
- Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is a Beautiful Film that Falters on the Story - July 21, 2017
- Book Review: ‘Matchup’ Pairs Bestselling Mystery Authors in a Short Story Anthology Worth Reading - July 14, 2017
- Spider-Man: Homecoming Is the Most Fun Outing for the Webslinger Yet - July 7, 2017
- My Recap of #BlogHer17 – Maybe Not the Right Conference for Me - June 30, 2017
- Netflix July 2017 Additions and Departures - June 26, 2017