Jack Reacher is Tom Cruise doing what he does best in movies: high-energy fights, exciting action sequences, and snappy dialog. And that’s ok, because that’s just what makes this movie so good.
Reacher, a character from a series of books by author Lee Child, is a former military cop who has been living off the grid. After an ex-sniper is accused of opening fire on a crowd of people, Reacher shows up in Pittsburgh to find the truth.
There’s very little back story, at first. You learn about Reacher and how he fits into all of this as the film goes along, but in this film, it works.
He’s assisted by the ex-sniper’s defense attorney (Rosamund Pike), who happens to be the daughter of the prosecuting D.A. (Richard Jenkins). He also makes friends with an ex-Marine who now owns a shooting range, played wonderfully by Robert Duvall, that helps him solve the case.
Jack Reacher is a no-frills action thriller, and it’s a great one. It doesn’t try to reinvent the genre, it just does it really well.
- Book Review: ‘Matchup’ Pairs Bestselling Mystery Authors in a Short Story Anthology Worth Reading - July 14, 2017
- Spider-Man: Homecoming Is the Most Fun Outing for the Webslinger Yet - July 7, 2017
- My Recap of #BlogHer17 – Maybe Not the Right Conference for Me - June 30, 2017
- Netflix July 2017 Additions and Departures - June 26, 2017
- Celebrate the History of Mardi Gras at the Mobile Carnival Museum in Alabama #VisitMobile #BorntoCelebrate #travel - June 23, 2017
- The Fort of Colonial Mobile Teaches the Colonial History of Mobile Alabama #VisitMobile #travel - June 5, 2017
- Ben & Jerry’s Celebrates Bob Marley’s Legacy with One Love Flavor - June 1, 2017
- Netflix June 2017 Additions and Departures - May 26, 2017
- Vanity Fair Releases Four Collectors Covers of #StarWars: The Last Jedi Cast for Upcoming Issue - May 23, 2017
- Let’s Talk About It: Depression and Me #B4MH - May 15, 2017