Over the years, spiders have often been used in horror stories as the monster, but usually they’re gigantic arachnids. What if the spiders were regular size, but extremely deadly and hard to kill? This is the basis of The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone.
The story starts deep in the jungles of Peru, as an ancient species of carnivorous spiders attacks a group of tourists and their guide, stripping their bodies to the bone in mere minutes. An almost liquid mass, these spiders are seemingly invincible.
From there, the fast paced novel jumps to China, India, Scotland, Los Angeles, Washington, DC, and more, as this hive-minded terror takes over the world.
An FBI agent discovers the spiders in a plane crash in Minnesota. The Chinese government “accidentally” drops a nuke on an isolated region of the country. India is suddenly over run with spiders from a deep cave.
A military convoy in America tries to keep the horror contained, and across the country, an ancient hard shelled egg sac that was delivered to a D.C. laboratory suddenly grows hot…and is that movement inside?
The plot is well-written, the characters are people you actually care about, and the horror aspects are very solid. I would’ve read this in one sitting, except I had to keep putting it down to look at puppy and kitten videos. Seriously.
And just when you think it can’t get any worse for the humans on this planet, the last few short chapters set up an even more terrifying book two, which is due in Spring 2017.
If you don’t already have arachnophobia, you will after reading The Hatching. Definitely 5 stars for this book!
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book for review purposes via NetGalley. As always, my opinions are my own. There are also affiliate links used in this review which help pay for this site at no additional cost to you.
- #CookingWithCabot and #SundaySupper for a Cheesy Good Day - March 13, 2017
- Netflix March 2017 Additions and Departures - March 1, 2017
- Learning about Child Safety in Vehicles with Nissan and Bloggin’ Mamas in Miami #NissanMamas - February 27, 2017
- Goodbye and Good Riddance Flu - February 16, 2017
- Netflix January 2017 Additions and Departures - December 30, 2016
- Hot Berry-tini Cocktail Recipe featuring Crystal Head Aurora Vodka #spon - December 17, 2016
- American Berry Mule Cocktail Recipe - December 10, 2016
- Netflix December 2016 Additions and Departures - December 1, 2016
- A Taste of #Moana – Pineapple Salsa Recipe #ad #RWM @DisneyMoana - November 22, 2016
- Spiced Amarula Cocktail Recipe - November 10, 2016