One of the best travel resources America has are our national parks, but if the National Park Service has its way, entry fees could rise to $70 at some of the most popular parks.
Fees would rise at 17 of the busiest parks during “peak season,” defined as the busiest five-month period of visitation at each park, the National Park Service said in a news release.
The plan would increase fees at each of the following national parks:
- Bryce Canyon
- Grand Canyon
- Grand Teton
- Joshua Tree National Park
- Mount Rainier
- Rocky Mountain
- Sequoia & Kings Canyon
- Shenandoah National Park
During the peak season at each park, the entrance fee would be $70 per private, non-commercial vehicle, $50 per motorcycle, and $30 per person on bike or foot. Currently, those parks charge $25 to $30 for a private noncommercial vehicle entry.
The U.S. Department of the Interior announced the plan, stating the increase was needed to pay for “improvements to the aging infrastructure of national parks.” They also stated the increased fees would bring in $70 million in new national park revenue, a 34 percent increase over 2016.
A park-specific annual pass for any of the 17 parks would be available for $75.
The cost of the annual America the Beautiful- The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass, which provides entrance to all federal lands, including parks for a one-year period, would remain $80.
A public comment period on the peak-season entrance fee proposal will be open from October 24, 2017 to November 23, 2017, on the NPS Planning, Environment and Public Comment (PEPC) website . Written comments can be sent to 1849 C Street, NW, Mail Stop: 2346 Washington, DC 20240.
I do feel that the added revenue will be good for the improving the parks. 80% of all park admission fees stay within the park. However, I worry that $70 might be a price point that keeps many families from experiencing the parks, since it’s twice the current rate.
What do you think?
- Travel Thursday: Rocky Mountains, Colorado - January 18, 2018
- A Look at the Entire Walt Disney Studios Movie Schedule for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Marvel Releases Two New Black Panther Featurettes - January 13, 2018
- Book Review: Dark Screams: Volume Nine feat. Various Authors - January 9, 2018
- My Top Ten Most Wanted Travel Destinations for 2018 - January 4, 2018
- Everything Coming to #AmazonPrime January 2018 - January 3, 2018
- All the New Offerings from #Hulu for January 2018 - January 3, 2018
- Book Review: Between the Blade and the Heart by Amanda Hocking + Giveaway! - January 2, 2018
- Hello 2018! Let’s Rock This! - January 1, 2018
- Book Review: Ramses the Damned – The Passion of Cleopatra by Anne Rice and Christopher Rice - December 20, 2017