Ramses the Damned: The Passion of Cleopatra is the latest release by iconic author Anne Rice and her author son Christopher Rice, and it should satisfy fans of her earlier works.
This book is actually the much-anticipated sequel to Anne Rice’s 2011 novel, The Mummy, and picks up with the characters shorty after the end of that book. But thankfully, you don’t have to have read The Mummy to get swept up with the story of Ramses and Cleopatra.
In this sequel, Ramses the Great, former pharaoh of Egypt, is reawakened by the elixir of life in Edwardian England. Now immortal with his bride-to-be, he is swept up in a fierce and deadly battle of wills and psyches against the once-great Queen Cleopatra.
But Cleopatra is not entirely herself thanks to Ramses raising her from the dead with the elixir. And what of this American author who seems to have a psychic link to the queen?
Set in the early 1900s, the story finds our immortal characters crossing paths throughout Egypt and Europe, and in the process, drawing the attention of other immortals – older ones who have a connection to this elixir, and are in a battle of their own.
Speaking of queens, one of these immortals is named Queen Bektaten, and I found her the most fascinating character in the book. In fact, if Rice decides to continue this series, I would love for a book focused on Bektaten. In this book we only get a taste of her vast history, leaving so much to mine for a new novel.
Ramses the Damned: The Passion of Cleopatra is slow to get going, but once all the multiple plotlines converge, it’s a can’t-put-down story. It’s definitely one of my top 5 favorites in the Anne Rice catalog.
* * * * * * * * * *
Disclaimer: I received a ebook copy of Ramses the Damned: The Passion of Cleopatra for review purposes from NetGalley. I was not compensated in any other way. My opinion is honest, and as always, my own.
Disclaimer: This post uses Amazon affiliate links. It doesn’t add anything to your cost, but helps pay for this site to operate, should you choose to purchase something. Thanks!
- Kat Von D Beauty Launches 40 New Shades of Vegan #StuddedKiss Lipsticks #KatVonDBeauty - January 23, 2018
- Travel Thursday: Rocky Mountains, Colorado - January 18, 2018
- A Look at the Entire Walt Disney Studios Movie Schedule for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Marvel Releases Two New Black Panther Featurettes - January 13, 2018
- Book Review: Dark Screams: Volume Nine feat. Various Authors - January 9, 2018
- My Top Ten Most Wanted Travel Destinations for 2018 - January 4, 2018
- Everything Coming to #AmazonPrime January 2018 - January 3, 2018
- All the New Offerings from #Hulu for January 2018 - January 3, 2018
- Book Review: Between the Blade and the Heart by Amanda Hocking + Giveaway! - January 2, 2018
- Hello 2018! Let’s Rock This! - January 1, 2018