This ninth entry in the Dark Screams series offers up six short stories of horror that vary from serial killers to a werewolf war against a small town, offering a little something for everyone.
Kelley Armstrong, Stewart O’Nan, Taylor Grant, Jonathan Moore, Peter Straub, and Lee Thomas share tales of lost love, bad job offers, corpses that won’t stay dead, and creatures of the night in this collection assembled by renowned horror editors Brian James Freeman and Richard Chizmar.
My favorite story is the book’s closer, “Torn” by Lee Thomas. A hunt for a missing girl turns into all-out warfare then gets worse from there when the inhuman assailants learn the lore about them isn’t true.
I also enjoyed “Invitation to the Game” by Kelley Armstrong about a company that won’t take no for an answer when they offer a promotion (this one would make a great Black Mirror episode!), and “The Blackout” by Jonathan Moore that tells the tale of a missing body from the morgue that takes a supernatural turn.
I liked all the stories save “Variations on a Theme From Seinfeld” by Peter Straub. It wasn’t horrible, but I didn’t connect with it at all.
However, it’s rare to like all stories in an anthology , and Dark Screams: Volume Nine hits way more than it misses for me. Definitely check this one out if you like horror stories.
* * * * * * * * * *
Disclaimer: I received a ebook copy of Dark Screams: Volume Nine for review purposes from NetGalley. I was not compensated in any other way. My opinion is honest, and as always, my own.
Disclaimer: This post uses Amazon affiliate links. It doesn’t add anything to your cost, should you choose to purchase something. Thanks!
- Kat Von D Beauty Launches 40 New Shades of Vegan #StuddedKiss Lipsticks #KatVonDBeauty - January 23, 2018
- Travel Thursday: Rocky Mountains, Colorado - January 18, 2018
- A Look at the Entire Walt Disney Studios Movie Schedule for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Marvel Releases Two New Black Panther Featurettes - January 13, 2018
- Book Review: Dark Screams: Volume Nine feat. Various Authors - January 9, 2018
- My Top Ten Most Wanted Travel Destinations for 2018 - January 4, 2018
- Everything Coming to #AmazonPrime January 2018 - January 3, 2018
- All the New Offerings from #Hulu for January 2018 - January 3, 2018
- Book Review: Between the Blade and the Heart by Amanda Hocking + Giveaway! - January 2, 2018
- Hello 2018! Let’s Rock This! - January 1, 2018