One of Walt Disney World’s original resorts, Disney’s Grand Floridian resort is popular both for its proximity to the Magic Kingdom and for its location on the monorail transportation system.
An ode to the luxury seaside resorts of early 1900s America, the theme is present inside and out. Pulling up to valet, a gentleman dressed in an outfit reminiscent of a 1920’s paperboy took my keys and unloaded my luggage. Passing a white antique Rolls Royce parked along the entry walkway, another gentleman in a top hat welcomed me inside the front doors.
My first steps into the hotel landed me in the Grand Lobby which is a five-story tall atrium resembling a Victorian parlor room, complete with grand piano. Despite a lengthy check-in line, the actual process was quick and painless. Luck of the draw netted me a lagoon room in the Conch Key building with a view of the Magic Kingdom.
The room itself was a good size, with a bathroom that featured a vanity area separated from the bath area by a door. A closer look at the room decor and it became apparent there were several Disney touches: a lamp in the shape of Mickey; bedding with quotes and images from Alice in Wonderland. It was subtle and not overwhelming, unlike Disney’s value or moderate properties.
The room had a balcony facing Cinderella’s Castle, offering a great view of the park’s nightly fireworks later that evening. Unfortunately, the dividers separating the balcony into sections for each room on that side of the building didn’t extend all the way to the floor, allowing the child in the room next door to crawl under and visit me several times. I was also puzzled as to why there were huge spotlights aimed at that side of the building, making it necessary for me to close my curtains to sleep. So much for waking up with a view of the castle.
Other drawbacks to the location of the room became apparent with the early fall weather that fluctuated between hot and humid and stormy with strong winds. With my room in a separate building at the far end of the resort, it was very inconvenient to get to the on-property restaurants or the main lobby to catch the monorail during afternoon rain showers. And with only two pools for over 850 rooms, it was like a sea of people at either of them during the hottest parts of the day.
Another guest inconvenience is the self-park lot, which is located almost two city-block lengths from the lobby. Those with large families or lots of luggage will want to splurge on valet, as it’s quite a hike.
Disney’s Grand Floridian features several fine dining options, including Narcoossee’s (seafood), Citricos (Mediterranean) and the ultra-luxurious Victoria and Albert’s, which offers a four-seat “chef’s table” for the ultimate dining experience. Those with kids, however, may want to opt for the more family-friendly options of the Gasparilla Grill or 1900 Park Fare, which offers buffet-style dining, including a morning breakfast with Disney characters from Mary Poppins, as well as Pooh and Tigger.
Other guest amenities at the resort include a spa and health club, a complimentary shuttle boat to the Magic Kingdom, a small marina with jet ski and boat rentals, and a wedding pavilion.
Despite the few inconveniences mentioned above, Disney’s Grand Floridian is a beautiful resort and those that want to stay in luxury when visiting Walt Disney World should find the experience worth the price.
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Nope’ (2022) .. #NopeMovie #MovieReview #Horror - July 21, 2022
- Almost there… - July 18, 2022
- Transmissions About to Restart - March 30, 2022
- Disney and Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ To Skip Theaters for Disney+ - January 7, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Super Hot (2021) .. #SuperHot #HorrorComedy #Vampires #MovieReview - November 9, 2021
- Zengrrl’s First Episode Review: Yellowjackets on Showtime .. #Yellowjackets #Showtime #Horror #Thriller - November 8, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: The Harder They Fall (2021) .. #TheHarderTheyFall #Netflix #WesternMovies #MovieReviews - November 3, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in November 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #RedNotice #TheHarderTheyFall, #CowboyBebop - November 1, 2021
- My Top Picks for Free Horror Streaming on IMDbTV for Halloween 2021 .. #IMDbTV #Halloween #Horror #FreeMovies - October 30, 2021
- My Top Picks for Free Horror Streaming on Tubi for Halloween 2021 .. #Tubi #TerrorOnTubi #Halloween #Horror #FreeMovies - October 29, 2021