Yesterday was a short shift at the store and it started normal enough. We had more traffic than normal because of the release of Stephanie Meyer’s “Breaking Dawn” book, but otherwise, things were chugging along. I’m in the middle of putting out my second cart of books when a manager from the store next door comes in and asks if we had any bathroom leaks in the back. Not that I knew of, but I went to check anyways.
Now we have two bathrooms in the back, but I guess when the store first opened, someone got the bright idea to transform one of those into a storage room. Over time, the storage just involved into people throwing stuff in there to get it out of the way. Well, it seems sometime earlier in the day, before I came on shift to close, someone had dug in the room for something and inadvertently turned on the sink. The sink which was piled with plastic bags full of metal brackets blocking the drain. The sink with all the cardboard signs for the store piled on top of the basin.
I think you can see where I’m going with this.
In however long the sink was actually running, since the water couldn’t empty down the blocked drain, it overflowed over the cardboard, onto the floor, eventually creeping through the wall and soaking the carpets in the fitting rooms of the store next door.
Guess who had to take care of all this.
So I called the new asst manager because the head manager, who just started last week, too, was moving this weekend and had no phone. I had to deal with the angry manager from the flooded store. I had to deal with trying to pull everything out of the storage closet and seeing what we could salvage from all the wet cardboard. All this on top of trying to put out the rest of the week’s shipment before we get our next shipment of 160 or so boxes for the next week, and dealing with a non-stop line of customers buying “Breaking Dawn” (we did double our normal sales for a Saturday night) and a sales associate who kept making really silly errors like not noticing discounts weren’t taken when the book was scanned, making me constantly have to go to the registers to fix things and soothe angry customers.
I swear a 5-hr shift never felt so long before.
And the most ridiculous thing is every employee I talked to about it said to me, “I didn’t know that was a sink.” Umm…there’s a big sign outside the door saying “bathroom” and the faucet was clearly visible. You generally don’t see a faucet sticking out of nowhere without a sink in the general vicinity.
I’m just saying, observancy not big here, obviously.
Anyways, I can’t wait until tomorrow when the head manager comes in and finds all this out. Yes, that was sarcasm.
The only bright part was when I got home, my puppy curled up next to me and gave me uber kissies to make me feel better.
Today I’m just taking it easy. It’s my gramma’s birthday today. She would have been 83. I still miss her so much.
- Walmart Black Friday Deal: Gourmia Toaster Oven Air Fryer for Only $50 This Week! - November 15, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Bodies Bodies Bodies’ (2022) - August 11, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Nope’ (2022) .. #NopeMovie #MovieReview #Horror - July 21, 2022
- Almost there… - July 18, 2022
- Transmissions About to Restart - March 30, 2022
- Disney and Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ To Skip Theaters for Disney+ - January 7, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Super Hot (2021) .. #SuperHot #HorrorComedy #Vampires #MovieReview - November 9, 2021
- Zengrrl’s First Episode Review: Yellowjackets on Showtime .. #Yellowjackets #Showtime #Horror #Thriller - November 8, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: The Harder They Fall (2021) .. #TheHarderTheyFall #Netflix #WesternMovies #MovieReviews - November 3, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in November 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #RedNotice #TheHarderTheyFall, #CowboyBebop - November 1, 2021