As part of a recent attempt to go meatless for a week, I decided to see if I could find a suitable substitution for my much beloved chicken breast strips.
This search led me to picking up a bag of Gardein Crispy Tenders at the store. The online reviews were good, plus the company is used by Disney at their annual Epcot Food & Wine Festival.
Looking at the nutrition label, I saw a serving size is 2 pieces, so I popped that on a cookie sheet to bake. They were smaller than I expected, but they looked just like breaded chicken tenders.
While they were cooking, I read the ingredient label. Not only could I pronounce everything on the label, but it was all stuff I recognized.
I was also impressed by the fact that the company uses non-GMO soy and wheat. This product is certified vegan.
Each serving had 100 calories, with 4.5 grams of fat. Definitely healthier than the actual chicken.
The only problem I had was that each serving also had 240mg salt, though the label said it was sea salt. But since the pieces were a bit smaller, less salt would’ve been nice.
So what about the taste? It was actually really close. When dipped in a honey mustard or ranch dressing, I couldn’t tell the difference, really.
I’d give Gardein Crispy Tenders an 8 out of 10. If the salt content was lower, I would’ve given it a 9.
Have you tried Gardein vegan “chicken”? If so, what did you think about it?
- Walmart Black Friday Deal: Gourmia Toaster Oven Air Fryer for Only $50 This Week! - November 15, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Bodies Bodies Bodies’ (2022) - August 11, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Nope’ (2022) .. #NopeMovie #MovieReview #Horror - July 21, 2022
- Almost there… - July 18, 2022
- Transmissions About to Restart - March 30, 2022
- Disney and Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ To Skip Theaters for Disney+ - January 7, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Super Hot (2021) .. #SuperHot #HorrorComedy #Vampires #MovieReview - November 9, 2021
- Zengrrl’s First Episode Review: Yellowjackets on Showtime .. #Yellowjackets #Showtime #Horror #Thriller - November 8, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: The Harder They Fall (2021) .. #TheHarderTheyFall #Netflix #WesternMovies #MovieReviews - November 3, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in November 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #RedNotice #TheHarderTheyFall, #CowboyBebop - November 1, 2021
Tagged: food review, Gardein Crispy Tenders, meatless meals, vegan chicken