When I got my tickets for a sneak preview of Last Vegas, earlier this month, I wasn’t fully sold on this film about four over-60 men who get together in Vegas for a bachelor party/wedding of one of the quartet.
But I thought, it has great actors in it – Michael Douglas, Robert DeNiro, Morgan Freeman, and Kevin Kline – how bad could it be? I needn’t have worried.
This movie was so funny from start to finish.
The plot of the film has three sixty-something friends (DeNiro, Freeman, Kline) taking a break from their day-to-day lives to throw a bachelor party in Las Vegas for their last remaining single pal (Douglas). The quartet has been friends since they were kids, but relations are a bit strained between some of them. There are also subplots about finding love when you least expect it (with Mary Steenburgen playing the lady love), and regarding a Guido, played by Jerry Ferrara (Entourage’s “Turtle”), who ends up getting schooled by the Flatbush Four (as the quartet called themselves).
Vegas itself also features heavily in the movie, with many scenes taking place either at Aria on The Strip, or at Binion’s in the old downtown area.
The film worked for me because there was a good balance of “being old” jokes, mixed with realistic relationships between guys who’ve been friends forever. There is also plenty of the raunchy humor that you would expect from a movie about a bachelor party, but since this movie is rated PG-13, it’s not as explicit as The Hangover. Think of this as if The Rat Pack did The Hangover, and you get a pretty good idea of the vibe of the movie.
The film does get a little maudlin towards the end, but overall, Last Vegas had me laughing so hard I couldn’t breathe at times. Special mention goes to the pool scene between DeNiro and RedFoo of the band LMFAO, who is hosting the party. To say anything more would be spoilerish.
Last Vegas is in theaters November 1, and I give it a two thumbs up recommendation to go see it.
Here is a trailer for the film:
- Walmart Black Friday Deal: Gourmia Toaster Oven Air Fryer for Only $50 This Week! - November 15, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Bodies Bodies Bodies’ (2022) - August 11, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Nope’ (2022) .. #NopeMovie #MovieReview #Horror - July 21, 2022
- Almost there… - July 18, 2022
- Transmissions About to Restart - March 30, 2022
- Disney and Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ To Skip Theaters for Disney+ - January 7, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Super Hot (2021) .. #SuperHot #HorrorComedy #Vampires #MovieReview - November 9, 2021
- Zengrrl’s First Episode Review: Yellowjackets on Showtime .. #Yellowjackets #Showtime #Horror #Thriller - November 8, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: The Harder They Fall (2021) .. #TheHarderTheyFall #Netflix #WesternMovies #MovieReviews - November 3, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in November 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #RedNotice #TheHarderTheyFall, #CowboyBebop - November 1, 2021
Tagged: Jerry Ferrara, Kevin Kline, Last Vegas, Mary Steenburgen, Michael Douglas, Morgan Freeman, movie review, Robert DeNiro