This week I saw several of my doctors, finishing up with a visit with my cancer doc. After a quick exam to check out something my radiologist had found a month ago (which turned out to be scar tissue), the doc said she was giving me the all-clear.
I AM OFFICIALLY CANCER FREE!!!
It’s been almost a year that I’ve been fighting the Big C, but I’m happy to say that as of now, I have kicked it’s ass. I still have to stay vigilant, because this cancer has a higher risk of return, but for now, I’m claiming this as a victory.
While I think a positive attitude, and the love and support of friends had a lot to do with this, I was also fortunate to have some real cancer-fighting badasses in my corner.
My main cancer doc is Lorna A. Brudie, DO, at Florida Hospital’s Cancer Center, and she is awesome! Very up front, answered all my questions, and made me feel comfortable with all of my treatments. From her official page at the hospital’s cancer center: She is board certified in gynecologic oncology and obstetrics and gynecology, and is an accomplished practitioner and researcher in the field of advanced robotic surgery and endometrial cancer staging.
I couldn’t have had a better person handling my robotic surgery and my follow-up care. She’s still in my corner, making sure the cancer doesn’t come back, but I owe a lot of my ability to beat this to her.
My main radiologist is Dr Kunal Saigal, MD, also at Florida Hospital’s Cancer Center. He was wonderful at addressing my concerns with both the external and internal radiation therapies I went through. He came in a few weeks into my external treatment, but quickly got up to speed, and guided me through both sets of treatment. I’m glad he ended up on my team, too.
I also need to thank the awesome team at Florida Hospital Cancer Institute in Kissimmee. For 5 1/2 weeks, I had external radiation treatments for 15-20 minutes daily Monday through Friday. The staff made this treatment almost easy. Big thanks to Nurse Mel, Melodee, Melinda, Christy, and Nathan for being the radiation rock stars that they are!
It took an army to get me cancer free, and I’m thankful to all of these wonderful people for being in my corner.
I still have other health concerns to deal with, but for now, I’m crossing cancer off that list.
- Amazon Reveals Back-To-School and Off-To-College Deals for Prime Day #amazonprimeday - July 15, 2018
- What You Need to Know to Make the Most of Amazon Prime Day 2018 #amazonprimeday - July 14, 2018
- Book Review: The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco - July 10, 2018
- Movie Review: Marvel’s Ant-Man and The Wasp is Light-Hearted Action-Packed Romp - July 5, 2018
- All the Netflix Additions and Departures for July 2018 - June 29, 2018
- Florida’s Historic Coast Offers a Summer of Free Events - June 22, 2018
- Movie Review: Incredibles 2 is Superhero-Sized Family Fun - June 15, 2018
- Amtrak to Refresh Acela Express Fleet Interiors - May 15, 2018
- Book Review: Dark Screams Volume Ten feat. Various Authors - May 8, 2018
- All the New Offerings from #Hulu for May 2018 - May 3, 2018