Nope this isn’t rumor or an April Fool’s Joke. Marvel and Sony have finally come to an agreement that allows Spider-Man to play in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, while Sony retains control over the character.
So here is what I know about this deal:
- Spider-Man will next appear in a Marvel Studios-produced MCU film first, with a a clause stipulating it will happen prior to 2017. Could that mean Spidey will be participating in Captain America: Civil War?? If so, this will be huge!
- Sony will then release a new Spider-Man movie on July 28, 2017. This movie will be co-produced by ex-Sony honco Amy Pascal, who handled the franchise at Sony, and Marvel’s Kevin Feige, who has guided the MCU into what it is today. He also was an executive producer on the first Spider-Man trilogy, starring Toby Maguire. Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the web slinger.
- Sony will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films.
- Marvel and Sony are also using this deal as a possible stepping stone to introduce MCU characters into future Spider-Man films.
Wow! How cool is all that news? Also, as this article was going to press, thewrap.com says they’ve confirmed that the most recent Spider-Man, actor Andrew Garfield, will NOT be reprising the role in the upcoming Marvel Studios-Sony Pictures collaborations or solo Spidey movies. This has not been confirmed by Marvel or Sony.
However, in a statement made via Marvel, Feige said, “I am thrilled to team with my friends at Sony Pictures along with Amy Pascal to produce the next Spider-Man movie. Amy has been deeply involved in the realization on film of one of the world’s most beloved characters. Marvel’s involvement will hopefully deliver the creative continuity and authenticity that fans demand from the MCU. I am equally excited for the opportunity to have Spider-Man appear in the MCU, something which both we at Marvel, and fans alike, have been looking forward to for years.”
“We always want to collaborate with the best and most successful filmmakers to grow our franchises and develop our characters. Marvel, Kevin Feige and Amy, who helped orchestrate this deal, are the perfect team to help produce the next chapter of Spider-Man,” added Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment. “This is the right decision for the franchise, for our business, for Marvel, and for the fans.”
This all exciting news, I think. Many were wondering how the Civil War would happen without Spider-Man. Now it looks like it won’t have to.
What are your thoughts on this deal?
- Walmart Black Friday Deal: Gourmia Toaster Oven Air Fryer for Only $50 This Week! - November 15, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Bodies Bodies Bodies’ (2022) - August 11, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Nope’ (2022) .. #NopeMovie #MovieReview #Horror - July 21, 2022
- Almost there… - July 18, 2022
- Transmissions About to Restart - March 30, 2022
- Disney and Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ To Skip Theaters for Disney+ - January 7, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Super Hot (2021) .. #SuperHot #HorrorComedy #Vampires #MovieReview - November 9, 2021
- Zengrrl’s First Episode Review: Yellowjackets on Showtime .. #Yellowjackets #Showtime #Horror #Thriller - November 8, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: The Harder They Fall (2021) .. #TheHarderTheyFall #Netflix #WesternMovies #MovieReviews - November 3, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in November 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #RedNotice #TheHarderTheyFall, #CowboyBebop - November 1, 2021
Tagged: Marvel Cinematic Universe, Marvel Studios, Sony Pictures, Spider-Man