The UK duo known as The Ting Tings have made a name with the indie post-punk pop of their last two albums, but their newest, Super Critical, ventures into vintage club tune territory.
Prior to writing their third album, members Katie White and Jules De Martino decided to shake things up, and sequestered themselves on Ibiza. Influenced by the club sounds prevalent on the island, their songwriting ventured in that direction.
Produced by Andy Taylor (ex-Duran Duran), Super Critical is full of pop tunes with dance and funk edges. The title track, “Super Critical,” features a funky dance beat with sparce instruments and a bit of a tribal feel, and is a good way to start the album.
The lead single, “Wrong Club,” is the kind of club song you would’ve heard in the late 70s, while “Do It Again” and “Communication” takes the club sound up a decade to the 80s. Modern-day club sounds get a nod in the track “Failure,” too.
If you like the indie pop of their first two albums, that’s still there, too, in songs like “Daughter” and “Wabi Sabi.”
But it’s the second track to the end where The Ting Tings shine the best on this album. “Green Poison” is a total 80s jam that brings to mind 1999-album-era Prince, with just a touch of P-Funk. Mmmm…tasty.
Super Critical isn’t a perfect album, but if you’re looking to get your groove on with some dance pop, this will satisfy the urge.
For more information on the album, or The Ting Tings, visit thetingtings.com. You can also read my recent concert review of the band when they came to Orlando at CitySurfingOrlando.com.
For a taste of what to expect on the album, here is the video for “Wrong Club”:
Disclaimer: I didn’t receive a copy of the CD, but I did get to listen to it online for free. As always, my opinions are my own.
- Walmart Black Friday Deal: Gourmia Toaster Oven Air Fryer for Only $50 This Week! - November 15, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Bodies Bodies Bodies’ (2022) - August 11, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Nope’ (2022) .. #NopeMovie #MovieReview #Horror - July 21, 2022
- Almost there… - July 18, 2022
- Transmissions About to Restart - March 30, 2022
- Disney and Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ To Skip Theaters for Disney+ - January 7, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Super Hot (2021) .. #SuperHot #HorrorComedy #Vampires #MovieReview - November 9, 2021
- Zengrrl’s First Episode Review: Yellowjackets on Showtime .. #Yellowjackets #Showtime #Horror #Thriller - November 8, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: The Harder They Fall (2021) .. #TheHarderTheyFall #Netflix #WesternMovies #MovieReviews - November 3, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in November 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #RedNotice #TheHarderTheyFall, #CowboyBebop - November 1, 2021
Tagged: album review, cd review, club music, dance pop, Super Critical, The Ting Tings