This Thursday I will be participating on a panel with four other fellow Orlando bloggers, talking to a room of PR professionals.
While the main reason I agreed to do it was to give myself and my blogs greater exposure, a close secondary reason was to push myself out of my comfort zone.
See, the truth of the matter is I hate speaking to large groups of people. Just the thought of it fills me with anxiety.
But I know if I don’t push myself past the anxiety and dread, I’ll miss out on some fabulous experiences. And all signs point to this being a fabulous experience.
So I will tell those naysayer voices in my head to take a hike, I’ll take a deep breath, and I will throw myself in at the deep end, praying for the universe to catch me.
It usually does.
Oh sure, my nerves may make my voice tremor slightly. I may get a tiny case of the clumsies. But when all is said and done, I will emerge better for the experience.
Because one of the main things I’ve learned over the years is your life will never change if you don’t occasionally step outside of your comfort zone. If you don’t push yourself to be just a little better and stronger than you think you are.
If you keep yourself in that box, where everything is comfortable and you just cruise along in life, you miss some great opportunities and experiences that are just on the other side of that box.
I’m not saying to go out, strap on a bungee rope and jump off a bridge…because that’s not something I would do. But it’s ok to do things that give you small butterflies. Try new things or challenge yourself to be a little bolder.
I’ve noticed since my fight with cancer, I’m more willing to take small risks. To do things I’ve never tried, or retry things I didn’t get the hang of the first time. I guess I look at it this way: If I can beat cancer, what can speaking in a room of people do to me?
That’s not to say it still doesn’t make me nervous. Just that I plan to do it anyway, and see what happens.
Wish me luck!
- Everything Coming to Hulu in July 2020 (w/Trailers) .. #Hulu #Streaming #IntotheDark #PalmSprings #AndySamberg - June 30, 2020
- Everything Coming to Disney+ in July 2020 (w/Trailers) .. #DisneyPlus #Streaming #Hamilton #Beyonce #Muppets #StarWars - June 29, 2020
- All the Netflix Additions and Departures for July 2020 (w/Trailers) .. #Streaming #Netflix #UmbrellaAcademy - June 28, 2020
- Zengrrl’s Book Review: Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky .. #BookReview #ImaginaryFriend #StephenChbosky #NetGalley - June 26, 2020
- Zengrrl’s Book Review: Bad Parts by Brandon McNulty .. #BookReview #BadParts #BrandonMcNulty #NetGalley #Horror - June 19, 2020
- Zengrrl’s Movie Reviews: Hangman (2017) .. #MovieReviews #Hangman #AlPacino #KarlUrban #BrittanySnow #SarahShahi - June 15, 2020
- Zengrrl’s Book Review: The Possession by Michael Rutger .. #ThePossession #NetGalley #BookReview - June 12, 2020
- Zengrrl’s Book Review: The Warehouse by Rob Hart .. #TheWarehouse #NetGalley #BookReview - June 5, 2020
- Zengrrl’s Movie Reviews: Code 8 (2019) .. #MovieReviews #Code8 #RobbieAmell #StephenAmell #SungKang - June 1, 2020
- Movie Review: The Lovebirds (2020) Deftly Combines Laughter and Adventure into this Smart Rom-Com .. #TheLovebirds #Netflix @IssaRae @Kumailn - May 29, 2020