Sam Maggs has earned considerable geek cred as an Associate Editor for The Mary Sue, so she knows first hand what it’s like to be a feminist fangirl in today’s world.
Her new book, The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy, reflects her knowledge and experience, and delves into a variety of topics, including the lingo and terms of fandoms, how to meet fellow nerdy friends, reading and writing fanfic, and even interviews with other prominent fangirls.
Maggs writes from a feminist view point, with segments about how to avoid trolls (usually men who don’t like women being a part of the geek world) and how “fangirl” doesn’t have to be a derogatory term. It’s not in your face, more just positive and empowering, especially for those new to fangirling.
One of the most useful areas of the book, to me, covers attending fan conventions and cosplaying (useful tip – whatever your costume, make sure you can go to the bathroom while wearing it).
Here is a promotional video for The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy that includes the author and her friends discussing what being a fangirl is, for the purposes of this book.
All that said, I think this book is best for the new and younger fangirls who are just stepping into the geek world. That’s not to say as an older, more experienced fangirl I didn’t get something out of this book. I enjoyed reading the interviews, and there were a few recommendations that I plan to check out.
But The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy will be most useful in the hands of young women who want to delve into the fun of fandoms and aren’t sure where to start. It would make a great gift for your daughters or grand-daughters who love comics, video games, and sci-fi/fantasy/etc.
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book for review purposes via NetGalley. As always, my opinions are my own. There are also affiliate links used in this review which help pay for this site at no additional cost to you.
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Bodies Bodies Bodies’ (2022) - August 11, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Nope’ (2022) .. #NopeMovie #MovieReview #Horror - July 21, 2022
- Almost there… - July 18, 2022
- Transmissions About to Restart - March 30, 2022
- Disney and Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ To Skip Theaters for Disney+ - January 7, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Super Hot (2021) .. #SuperHot #HorrorComedy #Vampires #MovieReview - November 9, 2021
- Zengrrl’s First Episode Review: Yellowjackets on Showtime .. #Yellowjackets #Showtime #Horror #Thriller - November 8, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: The Harder They Fall (2021) .. #TheHarderTheyFall #Netflix #WesternMovies #MovieReviews - November 3, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in November 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #RedNotice #TheHarderTheyFall, #CowboyBebop - November 1, 2021
- My Top Picks for Free Horror Streaming on IMDbTV for Halloween 2021 .. #IMDbTV #Halloween #Horror #FreeMovies - October 30, 2021