Sage’s Eyes, by V.C. Andrews, is the first book in what may be a continuing story of Sage, a teenager with possibly supernatural powers. I found it engaging, but predictable and a little TV movie-of-the-week in substance and character development.
Sixteen-year-old Sage is a lonely girl, made so by her adoptive parents. They not only restrict her activities, but they seem to be watching her for signs of something. Something they won’t explain to her.
But she is also keeping secrets. She has always had premonitions and known things she couldn’t – shouldn’t – have knowledge of. These gifts have often gotten her in trouble, so she stops confiding in those around her, even her favorite uncle.
Then Sage meets a new boy in school, and when he seems to understand what she’s going through, she finds herself trusting him. But that may not be the best thing for her, as she learns a lot about her family and who she really is.
It should be noted that even though V.C. Andrews has author credit, Andrews herself passed away in 1986. This book was actually written by ghost writer Andrew Neiderman, hired by the estate of Andrews to continue the author’s work after her death.
As such, this book doesn’t have the same feel or engagement of Andrew’s biggest novel, Flowers in the Attic. The characters aren’t very well fleshed out, and many of the plot points were easy to figure out, though there were a few twists that I didn’t see coming.
There is also a Wiccan storyline introduced towards the end that would have some potential for a book two, if only it didn’t feel so stereotypical of Wiccans and Paganism.
Sage’s Eyes was a passably entertaining book, but I have no interest in a sequel because the story really felt like it was a boiler plate template with nothing original or exciting to offer.
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book for review purposes via NetGalley. As always, my opinions are my own. There are also affiliate links used in this review which help pay for this site at no additional cost to you.
- Walmart Black Friday Deal: Gourmia Toaster Oven Air Fryer for Only $50 This Week! - November 15, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Bodies Bodies Bodies’ (2022) - August 11, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Nope’ (2022) .. #NopeMovie #MovieReview #Horror - July 21, 2022
- Almost there… - July 18, 2022
- Transmissions About to Restart - March 30, 2022
- Disney and Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ To Skip Theaters for Disney+ - January 7, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Super Hot (2021) .. #SuperHot #HorrorComedy #Vampires #MovieReview - November 9, 2021
- Zengrrl’s First Episode Review: Yellowjackets on Showtime .. #Yellowjackets #Showtime #Horror #Thriller - November 8, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: The Harder They Fall (2021) .. #TheHarderTheyFall #Netflix #WesternMovies #MovieReviews - November 3, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in November 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #RedNotice #TheHarderTheyFall, #CowboyBebop - November 1, 2021