Over the years, spiders have often been used in horror stories as the monster, but usually they’re gigantic arachnids. What if the spiders were regular size, but extremely deadly and hard to kill? This is the basis of The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone.
The story starts deep in the jungles of Peru, as an ancient species of carnivorous spiders attacks a group of tourists and their guide, stripping their bodies to the bone in mere minutes. An almost liquid mass, these spiders are seemingly invincible.
From there, the fast paced novel jumps to China, India, Scotland, Los Angeles, Washington, DC, and more, as this hive-minded terror takes over the world.
An FBI agent discovers the spiders in a plane crash in Minnesota. The Chinese government “accidentally” drops a nuke on an isolated region of the country. India is suddenly over run with spiders from a deep cave.
A military convoy in America tries to keep the horror contained, and across the country, an ancient hard shelled egg sac that was delivered to a D.C. laboratory suddenly grows hot…and is that movement inside?
The plot is well-written, the characters are people you actually care about, and the horror aspects are very solid. I would’ve read this in one sitting, except I had to keep putting it down to look at puppy and kitten videos. Seriously.
And just when you think it can’t get any worse for the humans on this planet, the last few short chapters set up an even more terrifying book two, which is due in Spring 2017.
If you don’t already have arachnophobia, you will after reading The Hatching. Definitely 5 stars for this book!
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book for review purposes via NetGalley. As always, my opinions are my own. There are also affiliate links used in this review which help pay for this site at no additional cost to you.
- Walmart Black Friday Deal: Gourmia Toaster Oven Air Fryer for Only $50 This Week! - November 15, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Bodies Bodies Bodies’ (2022) - August 11, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Nope’ (2022) .. #NopeMovie #MovieReview #Horror - July 21, 2022
- Almost there… - July 18, 2022
- Transmissions About to Restart - March 30, 2022
- Disney and Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ To Skip Theaters for Disney+ - January 7, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Super Hot (2021) .. #SuperHot #HorrorComedy #Vampires #MovieReview - November 9, 2021
- Zengrrl’s First Episode Review: Yellowjackets on Showtime .. #Yellowjackets #Showtime #Horror #Thriller - November 8, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: The Harder They Fall (2021) .. #TheHarderTheyFall #Netflix #WesternMovies #MovieReviews - November 3, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in November 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #RedNotice #TheHarderTheyFall, #CowboyBebop - November 1, 2021
Tagged: book review, Ezekiel Boone, horror books, spiders, The Hatching