Did you you know Mardi Gras in America started in 1703 in Mobile, Alabama? The area had been taken over by the French the year prior, and the celebration wouldn’t reach New Orleans until nearly two decades later.
You can learn this and more at the Mobile Carnival Museum, an ode to the celebration that city residents and visitors look forward to every year. As one of my new Mobile friends says, as soon as Mardi Gras is over, everybody starts planning for the next year.
In a restored mansion, you’ll visit room after room of majestic crowns , scepters and robes of Mardi Gras monarchs. I originally hopped on a guided tour, but my MS started having trouble regulating temperature, and after I was unintentionally insulted by the docent giving the tour, I struck out on a self-guided adventure.
I’m glad I did, because I never would’ve discovered one of the best spots in the museum…the elevator.
Imagine getting on an elevator decorated in wallpaper designed with beads and other party accoutrements, and as the door starts closing, you see this…
I don’t know whose idea it was to put glowing eyes in the elevator but it was equally parts wonderful and creepy.
I also enjoyed the room with parade float parts, including a dragon head with a plasma ball eye, and a photo op aboard a Mardi Gras float railing. The gift shop had some cool things, too.
The tour is mostly wheelchair accessible. Besides the elevator, there is a ramp of displays between the second and third floors of rooms.
Tickets are only $5 for adults, and $2 for kids, so it’s worth a visit if you come to Mobile. For more information on the Mobile Carnival Museum, visit mobilecarnivalmuseum.com.
Disclaimer: I was hosted by Visit Mobile for a post-TBEX fam trip along with several other bloggers. As always, my opinions are honest, and my own.
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Bodies Bodies Bodies’ (2022) - August 11, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Nope’ (2022) .. #NopeMovie #MovieReview #Horror - July 21, 2022
- Almost there… - July 18, 2022
- Transmissions About to Restart - March 30, 2022
- Disney and Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ To Skip Theaters for Disney+ - January 7, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Super Hot (2021) .. #SuperHot #HorrorComedy #Vampires #MovieReview - November 9, 2021
- Zengrrl’s First Episode Review: Yellowjackets on Showtime .. #Yellowjackets #Showtime #Horror #Thriller - November 8, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: The Harder They Fall (2021) .. #TheHarderTheyFall #Netflix #WesternMovies #MovieReviews - November 3, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in November 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #RedNotice #TheHarderTheyFall, #CowboyBebop - November 1, 2021
- My Top Picks for Free Horror Streaming on IMDbTV for Halloween 2021 .. #IMDbTV #Halloween #Horror #FreeMovies - October 30, 2021