As a fan of the mystery and thriller genres, I was excited to receive a copy of Matchup to review. It proved to be an exciting read.
Edited by writer Lee Child, this book is a follow-up to the New York Times and USA TODAY bestseller FaceOff. It features 22 of the genres’ best writers pairing off to write short stories featuring some of their best known characters.
The twist? The list features 11 female authors including Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, Lisa Scottoline, and Charlaine Harris, paired with 11 male authors including Nelson DeMille, John Sanford, Christopher Rice, and Child, himself.
Some of my favorite stories were pairings of Temperance Brennan and Jack Reacher (Reichs and Child), Regan Pescoli and Virgil Flowers (Lisa Jackson and Sanford), and the paranormal teaming of Lucan Thorne and Lilliane (Lara Adrian and Christopher Rice).
I also appreciated that each story was introduced by a short explanation of how the writers paired up and wrote the story, and how they chose which characters to use.
I didn’t love every story, but there were enough that I did to make this book a must-read. It even introduced me to a few authors that I plan to check out further.
Matchup is a new release available in hardcover and ebook formats.
Disclaimer: I received a ebook copy of Matchup for review purposes from NetGalley. I was not compensated in any other way. My opinion is honest, and as always, my own.
Disclaimer: This post uses Amazon affiliate links. It doesn’t add anything to your cost, but helps pay for this site to operate, should you choose to purchase something. Thanks!
- All the #Netflix Additions and Departures for July 2019 - June 25, 2019
- Movie Review: Is Toy Story 4 Worth Seeing? #SpoilerFree #ToyStory4 - June 20, 2019
- All the #Netflix Additions and Departures for June 2019 - June 1, 2019
- Living with MS: May 30th is World MS Day #MyInvisibleMS #MSawareness #WorldMSDay - May 30, 2019
- All the #Netflix Additions and Departures for May 2019 - April 29, 2019
- Movie Review: Avengers Endgame Wraps Up 10 Years of Stories in Epic Style #AvengersEndgame #SpoilerFree - April 24, 2019
- All the #Netflix Additions and Departures for November 2018 - November 1, 2018
- Teen and Family Friendly Horror to Stream for Halloween 2018 - October 30, 2018
- My Picks for Horror Worth Streaming for Halloween 2018 - October 29, 2018
- Living with MS: The Unexpected Hiatus - October 15, 2018