Today is my birthday, but not just any birthday. Today, September 23, 2017, I mark my 50th year on this planet.
That’s right, today I am 50 years old.
I know a lot of people don’t like to admit when they reach this milestone, but I never understood why. On finally hitting 50…I still don’t get it.
Sure, I enjoyed my younger years and had a lot of adventures. I have a lot of great memories of things I’ve done and places I’ve gone.
But I’m also excited about discovering new adventures during my next decade on this planet. There’s still so much I want to do and see on this planet, and my goal is to scratch as many of those things off the list as I can.
I’ll admit there were times I wasn’t sure I would make it to this half-century mark, which probably helps color my viewpoint that 50 isn’t bad.
The last decade alone has seriously kicked my ass many times. Since I turned 40, I’ve dealt with losing my mom and dad to cancer, a year apart. I lost my last grandparent, the gramma who’d been my rock all my life.
I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, suffered a heart attack, and a year later was hospitalized for 2 months after heart, lung, and kidney failure, during which I spent three weeks on a respirator because I couldn’t breathe on my own.
I’ve battled cancer and, so far, have remained cancer-free.
Yet, the universe has seen to keep giving me chances to live, which I’ve gladly taken, so for me, turning 50 today is actually a victory. My mom passed at 52 and dad at 54, so this next decade for me will be another victory, when I make it to 60.
I had planned to included a lovely photo montage with this post, but all those photos are sitting on the hard drive of my dead laptop. *sigh* The best laid plans, right?
I had also planned to be on an epic trip for this milestone birthday, but between needing a new laptop and Hurricane Irma, those plans went to hell, too.
So, new goal. 2018, my 50th year on this planet, will be my year for traveling (and writing about it here at this blog, of course). If any of you can spare some vibes and positive thoughts to help manifest this, I’d appreciate it.
I do appreciate your support of both me and this blog. A lot of you have sent me positive messages during the health issues, and even just leaving a comment on a post lets me know I’m reaching people.
If I’ve learned anything over the past 50 years, it’s that life is about connecting with others. Thank you for connecting with me.
Now I’m off to eat my age in burgers at the Orlando Burger Battle. I’ll post a recap of that over at citysurfingorlando.com.
I’m so very happy to make it to my 50th birthday! I can’t wait to see what lies ahead for the next chapter in my life!
- Movie Review: Marvel’s Black Panther Hits All the Right Notes - February 17, 2018
- Thor: Ragnarok Thunders Into Homes on Digital Feb 20 & Blu-ray March 6 - February 13, 2018
- Disney Pixar’s COCO Comes Home on Digital Feb 13 & Blu-ray Feb 27 - February 6, 2018
- All the New Offerings from #Hulu for February 2018 - February 2, 2018
- Everything Coming to #AmazonPrime February 2018 - February 1, 2018
- All the #Netflix February 2018 Additions and Departures - January 31, 2018
- Kat Von D Beauty Launches 40 New Shades of Vegan #StuddedKiss Lipsticks #KatVonDBeauty - January 23, 2018
- Travel Thursday: Rocky Mountains, Colorado - January 18, 2018
- A Look at the Entire Walt Disney Studios Movie Schedule for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Marvel Releases Two New Black Panther Featurettes - January 13, 2018