The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco originally came out in 2017, but I only recently became aware of it.
I was first interested in reading the book due to the title. I love fantasy stories that include magic. And I found I wasn’t disappointed with my choice
In it, Tea, a dark asha (also known as a Bone Witch), tells of her rise within the ranks of the gilded community of spellbinders who take her in to be trained, after she accidentally raises her brother from the dead.
But to be a Bone Witch, with powers of necromancy, also makes her feared and ostracized by her community.
However, she is more powerful than any can imagine, including herself, and may be the key piece in defeating the evil Faceless and their nearly invincible creatures who have been terrorizing the world for years.
That story is interspersed with flashes to the present where the witch is interacting with a bard she has invited to her hideaway while she pieces together the present with the past, and raises an army of creatures.
It’s an interesting way to tell the story, and at times, a bit confusing, but not too much.
I really enjoyed the story and the characters. The author does a great job of creating this fantasy world, and is very descriptive. A little too descriptive at times, but that was a minor point for me
The only major issue I have is with the twist at the end which seemed to come out of nowhere. She is linked with a character who, up until then, she seemed heavily at odds with. I suppose it serves to set up the second book, but there was no indication she would be linked romantically with this character.
If you’re looking for an unusual fantasy book with heavy doses of magic and mystical beings, give The Bone Witch a try.
Disclaimer: I received a ebook copy of The Bone Witch for review purposes from NetGalley. I was not compensated in any other way. My opinion is honest, and as always, my own.
Disclaimer: This post uses Amazon affiliate links. It doesn’t add anything to your cost, should you choose to purchase something. Thanks!
- All the #Netflix Additions and Departures for November 2018 - November 1, 2018
- Teen and Family Friendly Horror to Stream for Halloween 2018 - October 30, 2018
- My Picks for Horror Worth Streaming for Halloween 2018 - October 29, 2018
- Living with MS: The Unexpected Hiatus - October 15, 2018
- Everything Coming to #AmazonPrime in August 2018! - July 31, 2018
- All the Netflix Additions and Departures for August 2018 - July 30, 2018
- Cunard Announces Cruise Sale with Up to 50% Off - July 25, 2018
- Westgate Resorts Opens All-Suite Resort in Cocoa Beach, Florida - July 20, 2018
- Amazon Reveals Back-To-School and Off-To-College Deals for Prime Day #amazonprimeday - July 15, 2018
- What You Need to Know to Make the Most of Amazon Prime Day 2018 #amazonprimeday - July 14, 2018