When I saw Bad Parts by Brandon McNulty featured a female rock guitarist as a lead character, I quickly clicked to request this book for review.
In Bad Parts, rock guitarist Ash Hudson suffers a career-ending hand injury during an unexpected attack in the parking lot after a show.
But Ash still has one hope…a secret legend from her hometown of Hollow Hills, Pennsylvania.
For decades rumors have circulated that some residents have offered their diseased and injured body parts to a creek demon named Snare. In return, Snare rewards its “Traders” (as they’re called) with healthy replacement parts, with the provision they never leave town.
Ash wants a new hand, but living in Hollow Hills isn’t an option. Especially since her band has a once-in-a-lifetime gig opening for a legendary band in Florida at the end of the week.
So Ash decides to strike a bargain with the demon. But as you can imagine, demons aren’t the most trustworthy creatures to strike deals with.
Ash is also hindered by the leader of the Traders, who doesn’t want the status quo to go away, because then her power and control goes away.
How far will one go to get what one wants, and who are they willing to sacrifice to get it? This is a question many of the characters must answer throughout the book.
Bad Parts is a good original story, but it suffers from too many characters that I just didn’t care about. Even Ash – it just felt like she made one bad decision after another, and it was hard to feel sorry or even any kind of connection.
I found I cared more about her dad, bandmate Cheeto, and nephew Jake.
I also didn’t feel that any of the sex scenes were necessary for the story, and they were kind of cringeworthy, too.
But as I noted earlier, Bad Parts is still a good original horror story, with decent twists and carnage. It was also a fast read for me.
Apparently this is book one of a “Dark Parts” series (I have no idea how many books will be in the series). I liked this book enough to check out a sequel.
I’d give Bad Parts by Brandon McNulty 3.75 out of 5 stars.
Note: Bad Parts by Brandon McNulty will be available June 23, 2020. Pre-orders are available now.
Disclaimer: I received an e-book advance from NetGalley. I was not compensated in any other way. My opinion is honest, and as always, my own.
Disclaimer: This post uses Amazon affiliate links. It doesn’t add anything to your cost, should you choose to purchase something. Thanks!
- 10 Things You Need to Know About Marvel’s Loki Series Debuting June 9 on Disney+ .. #Loki #DisneyPlus #Marvel - June 7, 2021
- Spend Saturday Mornings With The Minions Starting June 5 Online .. #Minions #SaturdayMorningMinions #DespicableMe - June 4, 2021
- Everything Coming to Amazon Prime Video in June 2021.. #AmazonPrimeVideo #Streaming #Trailers - May 30, 2021
- Everything Coming to Disney+ in June 2021 .. #DisneyPlus #Streaming #Trailers #Loki #RayaAndTheLastDragon #PixarLuca - May 29, 2021
- Win a Fandango Code for 2 to See Spirit Untamed in Theaters! .. #SpiritUntamed #RWM #AD #giveaway - May 28, 2021
- Everything Coming to HBO Max in June 2021 .. #HBOMax #Streaming #Trailers #InTheHeights #TheConjuring - May 28, 2021
- Everything Coming to Hulu in June 2021 .. #Hulu #Streaming #Trailers #LoveVictor #TheCroodsANewAge #WillysWonderland - May 27, 2021
- Everything Coming to Netflix in June 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #Trailers #SweetTooth #Fatherhood #SailorMoon #Lupin - May 26, 2021
- Target Launches New Plant-Based Food Line .. @Target #Target #Vegan #PlantBased #FoodNews - May 24, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Army of the Dead (2021) .. #ArmyOfTheDead #Netflix #Horror #Zombies #MovieReview #ZackSynder - May 21, 2021