Imaginary Friend is the latest novel by Stephen Chbosky. If the name sounds familiar, it’s because he also wrote the coming of age novel The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
But this book is nothing like that one.
In a twist of fate, a young girl swerves her car to avoid a deer and sees Christopher at the edge of the woods six days later.
He seems unharmed, but his mother Kate soon recognizes her son is changing. He’s smarter, doing better in school…oh, and he has a new imaginary friend.
It’s a voice in his head only he can hear, with a mission only he can complete: Build a treehouse in the woods by Christmas, or his mother and everyone in the town will die.
This book is a slow burn, that starts off dabbling in the supernatural, then midway through, starts integrating Christian theology into the horror aspects. There were some nice twists at the end, too.
The main problem with this book is it’s too way long – they could’ve easily dropped 100 pages or more without sacrificing the story.
Also, the author made Christopher 7, but I had an easier time believing the story by thinking he and his friends were pre-teens.
Bottom line: If you can make it through the first third of the book, and aren’t put off by the religious allegories that author uses to build the horror, you’ll find it a decent and creepy read.
I’d give it a 3.8 out of 5.
NOTE: This book came out in 2019, but I didn’t get a chance to review it right away. My apologies to the publisher.
Disclaimer: I received a e-book copy for review purposes from NetGalley. I was not compensated in any other way. My opinion is honest, and as always, my own.
Disclaimer: This post uses Amazon affiliate links. It doesn’t add anything to your cost, should you choose to purchase something. Thanks!
- Walmart Black Friday Deal: Gourmia Toaster Oven Air Fryer for Only $50 This Week! - November 15, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Bodies Bodies Bodies’ (2022) - August 11, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Nope’ (2022) .. #NopeMovie #MovieReview #Horror - July 21, 2022
- Almost there… - July 18, 2022
- Transmissions About to Restart - March 30, 2022
- Disney and Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ To Skip Theaters for Disney+ - January 7, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Super Hot (2021) .. #SuperHot #HorrorComedy #Vampires #MovieReview - November 9, 2021
- Zengrrl’s First Episode Review: Yellowjackets on Showtime .. #Yellowjackets #Showtime #Horror #Thriller - November 8, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: The Harder They Fall (2021) .. #TheHarderTheyFall #Netflix #WesternMovies #MovieReviews - November 3, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in November 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #RedNotice #TheHarderTheyFall, #CowboyBebop - November 1, 2021