The Apocalypse Strain by Jason Parent is set in Siberia at a secret research facility, in a current time frame.
Among the items found in the ice during excavations is an ancient virus, nicknamed Molli. Dr. Clara St. Pierre, one of the leading scientists in the field of medical genomics and bioinformatics, is studying Molli when an astrobiologist named Sergei bursts into her lab and drinks the entire dish.
As you can imagine this does not end well for him, or many of the others trapped within the facility. For Molli has a mind of her own, and an agenda which she will see through no matter what.
Those trying to survive find themselves pitted against an ancient life form that can learn and adapt, even employing tricks.
The novel is an exhilarating read, and very much in the horror sci-fi vein.
Molli doesn’t just kill the humans she comes in contact with, but absorbs them into her form. As you can imagine, it gets quite gruesome in places.
I loved that Dr. St. Piere has MS (as I do), and not only does it not slow her down, but may give her an strange edge against Molli.
There’s also quite a few twists, including one at the very end which I didn’t even have an inkling of.
But because of the fast paced nature of the story, it was hard to really connect with many of the characters. And sometimes, the descriptions were excessively wordy.
Overall though, The Apocalypse Strain is a fun read, and if you like sci-fi horror, you’ll really enjoy this book.
I’d give The Apocalypse Strain by Jason Parent 4 out of 5 stars.
Note: The Apocalypse Strain by Jason Parent is available starting August 11, 2020. Pre-orders are being taken now.
Disclaimer: I received an advance e-book copy for review purposes from NetGalley. I was not compensated in any other way. My opinion is honest, and as always, my own.
Disclaimer: This post uses Amazon affiliate links. It doesn’t add anything to your cost, should you choose to purchase something. Thanks!
- Walmart Black Friday Deal: Gourmia Toaster Oven Air Fryer for Only $50 This Week! - November 15, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Bodies Bodies Bodies’ (2022) - August 11, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Nope’ (2022) .. #NopeMovie #MovieReview #Horror - July 21, 2022
- Almost there… - July 18, 2022
- Transmissions About to Restart - March 30, 2022
- Disney and Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ To Skip Theaters for Disney+ - January 7, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Super Hot (2021) .. #SuperHot #HorrorComedy #Vampires #MovieReview - November 9, 2021
- Zengrrl’s First Episode Review: Yellowjackets on Showtime .. #Yellowjackets #Showtime #Horror #Thriller - November 8, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: The Harder They Fall (2021) .. #TheHarderTheyFall #Netflix #WesternMovies #MovieReviews - November 3, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in November 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #RedNotice #TheHarderTheyFall, #CowboyBebop - November 1, 2021
Tagged: book reviews, Jason Parent, sci-fi horror books, The Apocalypse Strain, thriller books