As part of its Halloween programming, Hubie Halloween has debuted on Netflix, and it’s a horror-comedy movie.
Adam Sandler stars in Hubie Halloween as Hubie Dubois, who lives with his mom in Salem, Massachusetts, and appears to be on the Autism spectrum or be otherwise developmentally challenged.
The entire town thinks he’s strange, and he is the butt of many of the jokes in this movie. Everyone makes fun of him from school kids to the town’s police, and he’s constantly bullied.
Despite this, Hubie loves Halloween, and takes it upon himself to monitor the city as the official Halloween Helper. But as the day progresses, Hubie starts noticing strange things happening and people are going missing. Oh, and his new neighbor might be a werewolf.
Nobody believes him, as usual, until some prominent citizens get kidnapped. Hubie teams himself up with Sgt. Steve Downey to investigate, and there’s never any doubt that Hubie will save the day, win the town over, and even get the girl. It actually has a rather nice ending.
Hubie Halloween’s cast is a who’s who of Sandler’s comedy friends, including Kevin James (nearly unrecognizable under all that facial hair), Julie Bowen, Maya Rudolph, Tim Meadows, Rob Schneider, Steve Buscemi, and Ray Liotta. There are even nods to some of Sandler’s other movies, such as a cameo by Ben Stiller as his “Happy Gilmore” character.
I really wanted to like Hubie Halloween but the constant pranking and bullying of Hubie felt mean-spirited given his autistic leanings. They do turn it into a learning experience about not bullying at the end, but I didn’t enjoy the journey getting there.
I also didn’t find the asexual joke funny either, since it felt like they picked it since they couldn’t make it a lesbian joke.
I guess if you enjoy Adam Sandler’s brand of comedy (I do like several of his past movies), or just want a goofy Halloween movie, Hubie Halloween fits the bill. It’s also teen appropriate (just stop before the outtakes in the credits).
As for me, I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would, so I’m giving it a 2.5 out of 5 stars.
Director: Steven Brill
Cast: Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Julie Bowen, Maya Rudolph, Tim Meadows, Rob Schneider, Steve Buscemi, Ben Stiller,June Squibb, Kenan Thompson, Shaquille O’Neal, and Ray Liotta
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Nope’ (2022) .. #NopeMovie #MovieReview #Horror - July 21, 2022
- Almost there… - July 18, 2022
- Transmissions About to Restart - March 30, 2022
- Disney and Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ To Skip Theaters for Disney+ - January 7, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Super Hot (2021) .. #SuperHot #HorrorComedy #Vampires #MovieReview - November 9, 2021
- Zengrrl’s First Episode Review: Yellowjackets on Showtime .. #Yellowjackets #Showtime #Horror #Thriller - November 8, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: The Harder They Fall (2021) .. #TheHarderTheyFall #Netflix #WesternMovies #MovieReviews - November 3, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in November 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #RedNotice #TheHarderTheyFall, #CowboyBebop - November 1, 2021
- My Top Picks for Free Horror Streaming on IMDbTV for Halloween 2021 .. #IMDbTV #Halloween #Horror #FreeMovies - October 30, 2021
- My Top Picks for Free Horror Streaming on Tubi for Halloween 2021 .. #Tubi #TerrorOnTubi #Halloween #Horror #FreeMovies - October 29, 2021