The horror novel Blood Cruise by Mats Strandberg is set aboard the Baltic Charisma, a ferry ship between Sweden and Finland that also doubles as an overnight “booze cruise.”
On this particular night, over 1200 people, including children, are on board. But on this particular cruise, there are two passengers unlike any the crew of the Baltic Charisma has ever seen.
One of those passengers is a little boy who is sooooo hungry. When his mother leaves to find food, the boy takes it upon himself to find his own, not just to slake his hunger, but to create an army of those like him. Creatures who borrow from the mythology of both vampires and zombies.
It’s the perfect scenario for a night of mayhem and death.
Blood Cruise is actually the English version of the hit Swedish novel Färjan, and I’ll admit in reading the book, it felt like some things were lost in translation, especially with the POVs in the book switching from character to character with each chapter.
The different POVs include an adopted child with an unhappy family, a former employee who brought his boyfriend onboard to propose, an older woman who booked the cruise on a lark, a younger woman out to party, the nightclub singer, the crew – even the ship herself gets a POV.
The author also incorporates a lot of sexual horror, in addition to the body horror and outright killing. I’m not a fan of sexual horror, so I tended to gloss over those scenes.
But once the slow burn intro kicked into complete mayhem, I really enjoyed the story and how it weaved the individual POVs into a cohesive night of terror.
I’m giving Blood Cruise by Mats Strandberg a 3.5 out of 5.
Disclaimer: I received an advance e-book copy for review purposes from NetGalley. I was not compensated in any other way. My opinion is honest, and as always, my own.
Disclaimer: This post uses Amazon affiliate links. It doesn’t add anything to your cost, should you choose to purchase something. Thanks!
- Walmart Black Friday Deal: Gourmia Toaster Oven Air Fryer for Only $50 This Week! - November 15, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Bodies Bodies Bodies’ (2022) - August 11, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Nope’ (2022) .. #NopeMovie #MovieReview #Horror - July 21, 2022
- Almost there… - July 18, 2022
- Transmissions About to Restart - March 30, 2022
- Disney and Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ To Skip Theaters for Disney+ - January 7, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Super Hot (2021) .. #SuperHot #HorrorComedy #Vampires #MovieReview - November 9, 2021
- Zengrrl’s First Episode Review: Yellowjackets on Showtime .. #Yellowjackets #Showtime #Horror #Thriller - November 8, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: The Harder They Fall (2021) .. #TheHarderTheyFall #Netflix #WesternMovies #MovieReviews - November 3, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in November 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #RedNotice #TheHarderTheyFall, #CowboyBebop - November 1, 2021