It’s safe to say Netflix’s History of Swear Words is an unusual look at the English language…but as a fan of linguistics, I really enjoyed this series which examines the origins and historical use of what some consider profane vernacular.
Hosted by actor Nicolas Cage, each short episode examines how the word evolved throughout history to current usage. So, yes, expect to hear a LOT of that word throughout the episode.
Each episode features a mixture of famous personalities, comedians, professors, experts, and clips from entertainment sources and news. Similar to those comedic “Best of the 80s/90s/etc” TV shows, you learn while you laugh.
Language is power, and a lot of its connotation is in its use. I enjoyed learning more about each word, though I admit, my upbringing and life experiences still make it hard to hear certain words.
The six episodes examine the words: F*ck, Sh*t, B*tch, D*ck, Pu*sy, and D*mn (censored for those who may be triggered). Each word is thoroughly examined, explored, and explained in a lighthearted setting.
I look forward to seeing what words potential future episodes will examine, and if there is a season 2, I hope they keep Cage as the host and narrator. His personality and approach to the dialog really set the tone for series.
I’m giving The History of Swear Words a 4 out of 5. It’s streaming on Netflix.
HISTORY OF SWEAR WORDS
Cast: Nicolas Cage, Sarah Silverman, Nick Offerman, Nikki Glaser, Patti Harrison, Open Mike Eagle, Joel Kim Booster, DeRay Davis, London Hughes, Jim Jefferies, Zainab Johnson, Baron Vaughn, Isiah Whitlock Jr., Benjamin K. Bergen, Anne H. Charity Hudley, Mireille Miller-Young , Elvis Mitchell, Melissa Mohr, Kory Stamper
- Walmart Black Friday Deal: Gourmia Toaster Oven Air Fryer for Only $50 This Week! - November 15, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Bodies Bodies Bodies’ (2022) - August 11, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Nope’ (2022) .. #NopeMovie #MovieReview #Horror - July 21, 2022
- Almost there… - July 18, 2022
- Transmissions About to Restart - March 30, 2022
- Disney and Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ To Skip Theaters for Disney+ - January 7, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Super Hot (2021) .. #SuperHot #HorrorComedy #Vampires #MovieReview - November 9, 2021
- Zengrrl’s First Episode Review: Yellowjackets on Showtime .. #Yellowjackets #Showtime #Horror #Thriller - November 8, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: The Harder They Fall (2021) .. #TheHarderTheyFall #Netflix #WesternMovies #MovieReviews - November 3, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in November 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #RedNotice #TheHarderTheyFall, #CowboyBebop - November 1, 2021
Tagged: History of Swear Words, Netflix, Nicolas Cage, series review, streaming