‘Lore‘ by Alexandra Bracken is a young adult fantasy novel based on characters from Greek mythology set in a present-time alternate Earth.
As the book begins, the Agon has just begun. It occurs every seven years, ever since Zeus, in a rage, cursed his fellow Greek gods and goddesses to walk the earth as mortals for a week.
While they are in this form, they are hunted by the descendants of ancient bloodlines, all eager to kill a god and seize their divine power and immortality.
She believes they were killed by Wrath, the current God of War Ares, for something she did as a child, and yearns for revenge against him. Yet, she hides away when the new Agon starts.
She’s pulled back in when she finds the wounded Athena on her doorstep. One of the last original Gods, and daughter of Zeus, she makes a pact with Lore to help her kill Wrath.
She also encounters her old friend Castor, whom she thought died of illness, but is actually alive and somehow with the powers of Apollo.
But Lore’s decision to bind her fate to Athena’s and rejoin the hunt will come at a deadly cost—and still may not be enough to stop the rise of a new god with the power to bring humanity to its knees.
I enjoyed “Lore” very much, partially due to my affinity for Greek mythology. It was an interesting take, pairing what we know of the Greek gods with a “Hunger Games” type of hunt, featuring different factions (Houses as they are known in the book) warring for power.
While it is aimed at the young adult audience, it has a little more mature subject matter than say, the Percy Jackson series. There is a lot of violence and murder, including one incredibly unpleasant to read, and some uncomfortable sexualized situations, as well.
But there is also hope, and friendship, and even love, both hetero and gay. There’s heroes and villains, and a lot of characters that occupy the various shades of grey in between. And there are a ton of twists that will keep you guessing until the end.
I’m giving ‘Lore‘ by Alexandra Bracken 4 stars out of 5. It’s a can’t-put-down kind of read.
Disclaimer: I received an advance e-book copy for review purposes from NetGalley. I was not compensated in any other way. My opinion is honest, and as always, my own.
Disclaimer: This post uses Amazon affiliate links. It doesn’t add anything to your cost, should you choose to purchase something. Thanks!
- Walmart Black Friday Deal: Gourmia Toaster Oven Air Fryer for Only $50 This Week! - November 15, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Bodies Bodies Bodies’ (2022) - August 11, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Nope’ (2022) .. #NopeMovie #MovieReview #Horror - July 21, 2022
- Almost there… - July 18, 2022
- Transmissions About to Restart - March 30, 2022
- Disney and Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ To Skip Theaters for Disney+ - January 7, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Super Hot (2021) .. #SuperHot #HorrorComedy #Vampires #MovieReview - November 9, 2021
- Zengrrl’s First Episode Review: Yellowjackets on Showtime .. #Yellowjackets #Showtime #Horror #Thriller - November 8, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: The Harder They Fall (2021) .. #TheHarderTheyFall #Netflix #WesternMovies #MovieReviews - November 3, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in November 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #RedNotice #TheHarderTheyFall, #CowboyBebop - November 1, 2021