‘Lore‘ by Alexandra Bracken is a young adult fantasy novel based on characters from Greek mythology set in a present-time alternate Earth.
As the book begins, the Agon has just begun. It occurs every seven years, ever since Zeus, in a rage, cursed his fellow Greek gods and goddesses to walk the earth as mortals for a week.
While they are in this form, they are hunted by the descendants of ancient bloodlines, all eager to kill a god and seize their divine power and immortality.
She believes they were killed by Wrath, the current God of War Ares, for something she did as a child, and yearns for revenge against him. Yet, she hides away when the new Agon starts.
She’s pulled back in when she finds the wounded Athena on her doorstep. One of the last original Gods, and daughter of Zeus, she makes a pact with Lore to help her kill Wrath.
She also encounters her old friend Castor, whom she thought died of illness, but is actually alive and somehow with the powers of Apollo.
But Lore’s decision to bind her fate to Athena’s and rejoin the hunt will come at a deadly cost—and still may not be enough to stop the rise of a new god with the power to bring humanity to its knees.
I enjoyed “Lore” very much, partially due to my affinity for Greek mythology. It was an interesting take, pairing what we know of the Greek gods with a “Hunger Games” type of hunt, featuring different factions (Houses as they are known in the book) warring for power.
While it is aimed at the young adult audience, it has a little more mature subject matter than say, the Percy Jackson series. There is a lot of violence and murder, including one incredibly unpleasant to read, and some uncomfortable sexualized situations, as well.
But there is also hope, and friendship, and even love, both hetero and gay. There’s heroes and villains, and a lot of characters that occupy the various shades of grey in between. And there are a ton of twists that will keep you guessing until the end.
I’m giving ‘Lore‘ by Alexandra Bracken 4 stars out of 5. It’s a can’t-put-down kind of read.
Disclaimer: I received an advance e-book copy for review purposes from NetGalley. I was not compensated in any other way. My opinion is honest, and as always, my own.
Disclaimer: This post uses Amazon affiliate links. It doesn’t add anything to your cost, should you choose to purchase something. Thanks!
- Zengrrl’s Series Review: American Horror Story – Double Feature: Red Tide .. #AmericanHorrorStory #DoubleFeature #RedTide #SeriesReview #Horror - September 22, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Series Review – ‘Slasher: Flesh & Blood’ (Season 4) .. #SlasherFleshandBlood #Shudder #SeriesReview #Horror - September 20, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Book Review: All the Tommys in the World by Javier Gombinsky .. #AllTheTommysInTheWorld #JavierGombinsky #BookReview #NetGalley #Horror #Zombies - September 10, 2021
- Streaming On: Disney+ in September 2021 .. #DisneyPlus #Streaming #BillieEilish #StarWarsVisions - August 31, 2021
- Streaming On: HBO Max in September 2021 .. #HBOMax #Streaming #CryMacho #Malignant - August 30, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in September 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #LuciferNetflix - August 28, 2021
- Streaming On: Amazon Prime Video and IMDb TV in September 2021 .. #AmazonPrimeVideo #IMDbTV #Streaming #Cinderella - August 27, 2021
- Streaming On: Hulu in September 2021 .. #Hulu #Streaming #YTheLastMan - August 26, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Sweet Girl (2021) .. #SweetGirl #Netflix #JasonMomoa #MovieReview - August 24, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Series Review: American Horror Stories (Season 1) .. #AmericanHorrorStories #FXonHulu #SeriesReview - August 19, 2021