The Tomorrow War is a sci-fi action adventure film telling the story of a group of people who are drafted to a not-so-distant future to fight against an alien invasion of Earth.
The movie starts by literally dropping us, and the characters, into the middle of what looks like a battle scene before backing up the story to show biology teacher and former Green Beret Dan Forester (Chris Pratt) trying to watch the World Cup with his family and friends after finding out he’s lost out on a job at a prestigious research center.
But the calm doesn’t last long, as soldiers from the year 2051 arrive in the middle of the game to warn that humanity is on the brink of extinction. This is due to a war with alien invaders referred to as the “Whitespikes”, who will wipe out the majority of the human race eleven months later upon their arrival in November 2023.
With a lack of people left alive to fight in their time, they first take the world’s military into the future. When those people aren’t enough, the world’s leaders initiate an international draft of civilians, and Forester is one of those chosen to fight.
When his group of draftees have their time jump moved up, we are brought into the future with them to the events at the beginning of the film.
Forester is immediately put in charge of a rescue mission at a lab by the future’s Colonel Muri Forester (Yvonne Strahovski). Yes, the two characters have the same last name for a reason, which we find out later, but you’ll easily figure it out if you paid attention to the beginning of the movie.
Dan is then handpicked to go on a final mission with the Colonel to hunt down the female of the alien species, believing she is the key to destroying them. But it turns out the key to Earth’s survival actually rests in its past.
Pratt has well proven he’s capable of leading action movies with a blend of toughness and snark, and he definitely makes this movie worth watching. Strahovski and J.K. Simmons (who plays Dan’s anti-war dad) are also strong in their roles.
The script is good, though a little cliched, and there’s some solid tension built as the characters try to survive in both the future and the present day.
The special effects are also good. Not overly futuristic, but good enough for the story. The best visual scene is the final battle in the future, as the aliens are about to overrun humanity’s final stand. The aliens are suitably scary, too…oh and they can shoot spikes out of their bodies, so there’s that.
The Tomorrow War doesn’t break any new ground in sci-fi war movies, but it is an entertaining and fast-paced action movie.
I’m giving The Tomorrow War a 4 out of 5 stars. It debuts on Amazon Prime Video July 2, 2021.
THE TOMORROW WAR (2021)
Director: Chris McKay
Cast: Chris Pratt, Yvonne Strahovski, J. K. Simmons, Betty Gilpin, Sam Richardson, Edwin Hodge
- Disney and Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ To Skip Theaters for Disney+ - January 7, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Super Hot (2021) .. #SuperHot #HorrorComedy #Vampires #MovieReview - November 9, 2021
- Zengrrl’s First Episode Review: Yellowjackets on Showtime .. #Yellowjackets #Showtime #Horror #Thriller - November 8, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: The Harder They Fall (2021) .. #TheHarderTheyFall #Netflix #WesternMovies #MovieReviews - November 3, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in November 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #RedNotice #TheHarderTheyFall, #CowboyBebop - November 1, 2021
- My Top Picks for Free Horror Streaming on IMDbTV for Halloween 2021 .. #IMDbTV #Halloween #Horror #FreeMovies - October 30, 2021
- My Top Picks for Free Horror Streaming on Tubi for Halloween 2021 .. #Tubi #TerrorOnTubi #Halloween #Horror #FreeMovies - October 29, 2021
- My Top Picks for Free Horror Streaming on Roku for Halloween 2021 .. #Roku #Halloween #Horror #FreeMovies - October 28, 2021
- My Top Picks for Free Horror Streaming on Pluto.TV for Halloween 2021 .. #PlutoTV #Halloween #Horror #FreeMovies - October 27, 2021
- Carnival Cruise Line Christens New Ship ‘Mardi Gras’ in Florida .. #CarnivalCruises #CarnivalMardiGras #Cruises #Travel - October 24, 2021