Yellowjackets is a new series that is debuting on Showtime November 14, 2021, and I was able to preview the pilot episode.
The story is told in two time frames: the mid-90s and present day.
In 1995, we meet the members of a high school soccer team just before they head off to Nationals. One of the girl’s parents splurges on a private plane for the team, which ends up crashing in the mountains.
The story alternates between these events and present day 2021, where four of the survivors are still trying to piece together their lives while keeping a deep secret.
As flashbacks allude, they may have done horrible things to survive.
Part survival epic, part psychological horror, this first episode had me riveted. We get a good look at who these girls were in high school, and we also get a good sense of the fractured adults they’ve become.
The adult cast includes Melanie Lynskey, Tawny Cypress, Christina Ricci, and Juliette Lewis as the four main women with a secret they share. They all give strong performances as we learn who these women are today.
Sophie Nélisse, Jasmin Savoy Brown, Sammi Hanratty, and Sophie Thatcher play the teen versions of the main quartet, and they also give fine performances as women coming of age who are thrust into a horrific situation.
The school flashbacks were interesting, but not as much as the scenes where we get hints of what the crash survivors devolved into. We aren’t shown yet how they came to this point, but the flashbacks show an almost organized society making life-or-death decisions, and those scenes are quite chilling.
Based on the first episode, I’m giving Yellowjackets a 4 out of 5, and I’m really looking forward to seeing future episodes. Which means I may actually get a Showtime subscription.
If you like psychological horrormysteries, definitely add Yellowjackets to your viewing list.
Cast: Melanie Lynskey, Tawny Cypress, Christina Ricci, Juliette Lewis, Sophie Nélisse, Jasmin Savoy Brown, Sammi Hanratty, Sophie Thatcher
- Walmart Black Friday Deal: Gourmia Toaster Oven Air Fryer for Only $50 This Week! - November 15, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Bodies Bodies Bodies’ (2022) - August 11, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: ‘Nope’ (2022) .. #NopeMovie #MovieReview #Horror - July 21, 2022
- Almost there… - July 18, 2022
- Transmissions About to Restart - March 30, 2022
- Disney and Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ To Skip Theaters for Disney+ - January 7, 2022
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: Super Hot (2021) .. #SuperHot #HorrorComedy #Vampires #MovieReview - November 9, 2021
- Zengrrl’s First Episode Review: Yellowjackets on Showtime .. #Yellowjackets #Showtime #Horror #Thriller - November 8, 2021
- Zengrrl’s Movie Review: The Harder They Fall (2021) .. #TheHarderTheyFall #Netflix #WesternMovies #MovieReviews - November 3, 2021
- Streaming On: Netflix in November 2021 .. #Netflix #Streaming #RedNotice #TheHarderTheyFall, #CowboyBebop - November 1, 2021